Daily Wine 1/22/18:
Kalin Cellars – Cuvée W – Chardonnay – Livermore Valley – 1988
- This wine is 100% Chardonnay from the Wente clone and the Wente Estate Vineyard located near Livermore.
- Current release of this wine is 1995.
- The Wente clone was brought from Burgundy by the Wente family at the beginning of the 20th century.
- Soils here are thin, iron-rich clay with 20-30 feet of gravel subsoil.
- Grapes were harvested by hand and the juice was fermented in 50% new French oak barrels for ten months.
- The wine was racked, clarified by bentonite fining, and bottled without filtration.
- The Wente clone is a low-yielding clone that provides great depth, complexity and style when paired with the ideal climate and soil.
- Kalin Cellars was founded in 1977 and is located just north of San Francisco in Marin County.
- Only Terry and Frances Leighton are between the grape and the bottle.
- Kalin Cellars pioneered the production of unfiltered, sur lies aged white wines in California.
- The production lies around 7000 cases per year of 100% single vintage and single vineyard wines.
- Every wine that they offer is a “library wine.”
- White wines are often released five to ten years following the vintage and red wines are often released six to ten years after.
- Other varietals produced are Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, and Cabernet Sauvignon.
- In special vintages a late-harvest dessert wine (Cuvee d’Or) from botrytis-affectred Semillon and Sauvignon Blanc is produced.
- Pair this with poached eggs, beurre blanc, and salmon.