Daily Wine 11/13/17:
Lucia Vineyards – Chardonnay – Santa Lucia Highlands – 2014
- This wine is 100% Chardonnay from both the Pisoni and Soberanes Vineyards of the Santa Lucia Highlands AVA in the Central Coast in California.
- Fermentation is done with all native yeasts.
- Maturation takes place in 100% French Oak for 11 months and 20% of the barrels are new.
- Wines are made by Jeff Pisoni, whose family has long been committed to raising and crafting exceptional wines from the Santa Lucia Highlands.
- Since the beginning of the 19th century, the Pisoni family has been farming Monterey County soil.
- In 1951, Eddie and Jane Pisoni founded the Pisoni Farms for commercial produce in the Salinas Valley.
- In 1979, they purchased land at high elevations to graze cattle. That was the extent of their intentions until their son, Gary, wanted to make wine. He began making wine out of his garage in 1978.
- In 1982, Gary planted his first five-acre block on an east-facing slope at 1,300 feet, with no water source.
- Eight years later, Gary finally found groundwater beneath hundreds of feet of granite. He then planted another 17 acres of Pinot Noir.
- The first vintage of Lucia debuted in 2000 with Lucia Pinot Noir from the Garys’ Vineyard.
- Mark and Jeff Pisoni joined their father, Gary, to eventually take over.
- Pair this with eggs benedict and salmon.