Daily Wine 10/31/17:
Cayuse Vineyards – Impulsivo – Tempranillo – Walla Walla Valley – 2012
- This wine is 100% Tempranillo from the Walla Walla Valley in Washington State of the USA.
- The Tempranillo is sourced from the En Chamberlin Vineyard that also produces Cayuse’s “The Widowmaker Cabernet Sauvignon” and “En Chamberlin Syrah.”
- En Chamberlin Vineyard was primarily planted in 2000 on ten stony acres with grafted vines.
- Currently, Cayuse spreads over sixty acres and the overseen by the mastermind of Christophe Baron.
- The vineyards are highly stressed and produce low yields and densely concntrated fruit.
- Syrah is their most planted variety, but Viognier, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Grenache, and Tempranillo are also planted.
- My condolences go out to the winery for losing about 3,000 cases of their production this year to faulty corks.
- The first vintage of this wine was in 2002.
- Christophe purchased and planted his first vineyard in Washington in 1997, but studied in Burgundy and Champagne, his home, before coming to America.
- Pair this with beef and braised game.