Daily Wine 10/27/17:
Weingut Max Ferd. Richter – Graacher Himmelreich – Riesling – Auslese – Mosel – 2003
- This wine is 100% Riesling from the Himmelreich vineyard of the town of Graach along the Mosel River of Germany.
- Himmelreich has excellent southwestern exposure and directly neighbor the vineyards of the town of Wehlen.
- Soils here are more fertile and richer, but sit on an extremely steep slope with blue slate.
- Himmelreich means the “Kingdom of Heaven” and refers to the conditions that the Romans saw when they were deciding where to plant grapes.
- This wine is part of Richter’s Noble Sweet Auslese Riesling collection.
- The estate was founded in 1680 as a wine export company and still the same estate is used. The family first purchased vineyards in Brauneberg in 1643.
- Constantin Max Ferd. Richter is of the tenth generation and is set to take over.
- Pair this with spicy Asian and Indian cuisine.