Daily Wine 10/21/17:
Johanneshof Reinisch – Rotgipfler – Thermenregion – 2015
- This wine is 100% Rotgipfler from the Thermenregion of Austria.
- 80% of the wine is made in stainless steel and 20% is fermented in oak.
- The wine spend four months on the lees prior to release. Only about 2,000 bottles are produced a year.
- The vineyards are situated with a southeastern aspect on brown conglomerate and limestone soils at about 280 meters in elevation.
- Vines range from seven to twenty years old.
- Johanneshof Reinisch is a family-run winery in the town of Tattendorf and is operated by three brothers: Hannes, Christian, and Micheal Reinisch.
- Hannes makes the wines and Michael is the export director.
- The Thermenregion acquired its name from geothermal hot springs that flow under the vineyards.
- Johanneshof Reinisch has its own vine nursery on site and recover indigenous varieties like Rotgipfler and Zierfandler. There are roughly 247 acres of these two varieties combined remaining in the world.
- This family farms organically.
- Pair this with light fish and shellfish.