Daily Wine 10/14/17:
Martin Muthenthaler – Vieβlinger Stern – Grüner Veltliner – Wachau – 2015
- This wine is 100% Grüner Veltliner from the Vieβlinger Stern vineyard within the Wachau of Austria.
- The wine is made organically with wild yeasts and then aged in big acacia barrels before bottling.
- The Vieβlinger Stern vineyard derives of schist and gneiss soils with vines around 25 years of age.
- In 2006, self-taught winemaker, Martin Murthenthaler opened up his winery and assumed the vineyard of his parents. He owns three hectares spread over the bottom end of the Spitzer Graben. This site is very steep and can be challenging to harvest.
- Martin’s intentions are to make wines that express himself, the vineyard, and the grapes. He frees himself from regulations, recommendations, and opinions of critics and talked to winemakers and old farmers of the region instead.
- The wines from Vieβlinger Stern are the flagship of the estate.
- Today, the Vieβlinger Stern is part of Bruck, which includes another sixty or more small plots.
- Pair this is with a diverse array of dishes.