Daily Wine 10/12/17:
Domaine de Courcel – Le Grand Clos des Épenots – Premier Cru – Pommard – 2005
- This wine is 100% Pinot Noir from the Le Grand Clos des Épenots Premier Cru climat within the village of Pommard in the Côte de Beaune of Burgundy in France.
- This climat is a 4.89 hectare monopole vineyard in the north of Pommard at the beginning of the slope and faces east.
- The soil here is rich in clay and limestone with a depth of around 40-60cm and provides great drainage.
- Vines here are about sixty years old.
- The Domaine de Courcel is a 400 year old family winery located in Pommard, too. Its current owners are the decendents of the founders, three sisters and one brother.
- The estate is managed by Anne Bommelaer and Marie de Courcel.
- Pommard is four kilometers south-east of Beaune, the most important city and center of commerce in Burgundy.
- In all, the family owns about 10.5 hectares and 50% of their production if from the Le Grand Clos des Épenots vineyard.
- Annual production is around 30,000 bottles.
- Other appellations and vineyards include: Le Rugiens, Les Frémiers, and Les Croix Noires. The estate also produces Bourgogne level Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.
- Pommard is one of the few villages within the Côte de Beaune to only allow the production of red wines.
- Pair this with duck, chicken, and squab.