Daily Wine 10/3/17:
Sohm & Kracher – “Lion” – Grüner Veltliner – Weinvertal – 2016
- This wine is 100% Grüner Veltliner from the Weinvertal appellation within the Niederösterreich region of Austria.
- The wine is vinified in stainless steel and undergoes spontaneous fermentation. It spends one year on the fine lees.
- Sohm & Kracher is a collaboration between Aldo Sohm and Gerhard Kracher to focus on the diversity of Grüner Veltliner.
- Weinvertel is an underestimated region with more limestone and gravel than loess. The unique terroir inspired Aldo and Gerhard to plant there.
- The vision is to have low-alcohol wines and have wines distinct of their origin.
- Sohm & Kracher released their first vintage in 2009.
- The Kracher family is legendary to Austrian wine as leaders of botrytized sweet wines as sweet as trockenbeerenauslese.
- Aldo began his formal sommelier education in 1998, won “Best Sommelier in Austria” from 2002-2006, and “Best Sommelier in America” in 2007. He joined Le Bernardin as the head sommelier and opened Aldo Sohm Wine Bar in 2014 in Manhattan. He won “Best Sommelier in the World” in 2008 and is a partner with Zalto stemware.
- Pair this with a wide range of foods.