Daily Wine 9/29/17:
Villa Russiz – Ribolla Gialla – Collio – 2014
- This wine is 100% Ribolla Gialla from the Collio region of Friuli-Venezia Giulia in northeastern Italy.
- Vineyards are located on the sloping hillsides facing south on marl soils.
- The Collio region sits at the intersection of cool winds from the Julian Alps and warm air from the Adriatic Sea.
- Grapes are hand-picked in the early morning to preserve the structure at its peak. The grapes are lightly pressed and fermented in temperature-controlled tanks.
- The wine sits on the lees (dead yeast cells) for a minimum of eight months before being bottled.
- Villa Russiz was founded in 1868 by Elvine Ritter von Zahony, a noble woman from Gorizia, and Theodor Karl Leopold Anton de La Tour en Voivrè, from a noble French family.
- Hektor Ritter purchased the land for his daughter, Elvine.
- Pair this with soups, fish, and salads.