Daily Wine 9/25/17:
Domaine La Casenove – Cuvée Jaubert – Côtes du Roussillon – 2000
- This wine is 100% Syrah from the Catalan Coast IGP of Roussillon region of southern France.
- The wine is made in hommage of François Jaubert who passed away in 1934.
- This old Catalan property has been property of the same family for over four hundred years. Initally purchased in 1569, the vineyard holdings have grown to fifty hectares.
- Other grape varieties and styles are produced by the winery: Macabeu, Torbat, Grenache Blanc, Roussanne, Grenache Noir, Carignan, and Muscat (used to produce Rivesaltes).
- The soils that this Syrah grows on is a combination of clay and pebbles on terraces.
- Grapes are completely destemmed and macerated for one month.
- Maturation occurs in Bordeaux barrels for 24 months.
- The domaine is located near Banyuls, but around the town of Perpignan. The area is still coastal of the Mediterranean and has a warm climate at a stone’s throw away from the Pyrénées Mountains.
- Pair with game birds and avoid rich sauces.