Daily Wine 9/24/17:
Domaine Pietri Geraud – Banyuls – Rouge – 1962
- This wine is made entirely from Grenache Noir and is in the Vin Doux Naturel (VDN) style.
- VDN wines are fortified towards the conclusion of fermentation with a neutral spirit, typically brandy.
- This domaine has been in operation since the late 1800’s.
- The Banyuls region is arid and is cultivated manually. Vines cling to hillsides.
- Banyuls is the closest wine region in France to the Spanish border and is adjacent to the Catalonian wine region of Empordà DO.
- Banyuls can be produced in a variety of styles: Blanc, Ambré, Rosé, and a few classifications of Rouge.
- Pair this with chocolate desserts.