Daily Wine 9/15/17:
Jim Barry – The McRae Wood – Shiraz – Clare Valley – 1998
- This wine is 100% Shiraz from the Clare Valley within the Mount Lofty Ranges zone of South Australia.
- The Shiraz is 100% estate grown and from rolling hills with ideal winter rainfall and Mediterranean climate.
- In 1964, Jim purchased 70 acres from Duncan McRae Wood and planted his first vineyard with Shiraz.
- The 1998 vintage was a good one, but 1999 was better with dry summers and good rains just before harvest.
- Jim Barry has been a pioneer in the vision and evolution of Clare Valley.
- This wine is aged in 85% American oak and 15% French oak for 14 months.
- The first release of this wine was in 1992.
- Pair this with lamb.