Daily Wine 9/14/17:
Williams-Selyem – Eastside Road Neighbors – Pinot Noir – Russian River Valley – 2011
- This wine is 100% Pinot Noir from the Russian River Valley of Sonoma County in California.
- The Pinot Noir is a blend of four unique sites along Eastside Road near the winery. These vineyards include: Calegari Vineyard, Black Rose Vineyard, Archer Vineyard, and Foss Vineyard.
- 2011 here was a cool vintage that produced wines of purity and depth. Very expressive and site-driven.
- Maturation occurred in 60% new French oak and 40% 1-year barrels for 16 months.
- Ed Selyem and Burt Williams started this winery in 1979 as a hobby out of their garage and had their first commercial vintage in 1981.
- It took about two additional decades for them to reach cult-status and to elevate the Russian River Valley to one of the best winegrowing regions in the world. They essentially helped create the classic style of “Russian River Valley Pinot Noir”.
- Pair this with duck, chicken, and mushrooms.