Daily Wine 9/11/17:
Martinelli Winery – Jackass Hill – Muscat Alexandria – Russian River Valley – 2005
- This wine is 100% Muscat Alexandria from the Jackass Hill vineyard of the Russian River Valley AVA of Sonoma County in California.
- Planted to both Muscat and Zinfandel, this vineyard sits on Franciscan and Goldridge soils composed of fractured bedrock and clay loam.
- Jackass Hill was planted in the 1890s and is 2.5 acres in size.
- Vines are planted on a 60-degree slope the Giuseppe Martinelli planted. Leno, his son, took over after the untimely death of Giuseppe when he was just twelve years old. Today, Leno’s son, Lee Sr., is the third generation caretaker of the vineyard.
- Jackass Hill is the steepest non-terraced vineyard in Sonoma County and Muscat vines are interspersed within the old Zinfandel vines.
- Bryan Kvamme makes the wine and keeps the wine at a medium weight with firm notes of tropical and stone fruits. This is a sweet wine, but sits at 16.5% in alcohol.
- Grapes are picked later, fermented with wild yeast, and barrel fermented in neutral French Oak barrels.
- Pair this with a peach crostada and cheeses.