Daily Wine 9/8/17:
Viña Pedrosa – Reserva – Ribera del Duero – 2010
- This wine is 90% Tinto Fino (Tempranillo) and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Before hitting the market, this wine spends two years in casks and 18 months in the bottle for ageing.
- Viña Pedrosa is part of Bodegas Hermanos Pérez Pascuas realm and vinifies its own grapes from 135 hectares of vineyards. The operation was founded in 1980 by three brothers.
- Most of the Tempranillo vines are older and head-trained. The terrain is smooth and the soils are chalky-clay.
- Vineyards are about 800m above sea level.
- The climate here is continental with an influence of the Atlantic Ocean and the Duero River.
- The Bodega currently sells about 500,000 bottles of wine annually to over 38 countries and hold over 3300 new oak barrels in their 8000 square meter winery.
- When casks reach their third year, they are replaced with new ones.
- Pair this with game, beef, and lamb.