Daily Wine 9/6/17:
Bruno Giacosa – Santo Stefano – Barbaresco – 2011
- This wine is 100% Nebbiolo from the Santo Stefano vineyard of the Albesani Cru within Neive of Barbaresco in Piemonte, Italy.
- This is the last vintage ever to be produced of this wine by Bruno Giacosa.
- Bruno Giacosa took over as the third generation owner of the estate in 1961. Bruno Giacosa is the first to make wine.
- The estate known for producing excellent renditions of both Barolo and Barbaresco and Bruno is known as a living legend in the region.
- Bruno purchased his first vineyard in 1982 (Falletto). Prior to this, he was known for his single vineyard wines like Santo Stefano.
- All of the Riserva bottlings are finished with red labels and are some of the most sought-after wines in the world.
- The estate produces about 33,000 cases a year.
- The inaugural vintage of this wine was in 1964.
- Bruno Giacosa produces in a traditional style. 2-3 weeks of maceration in temperature controlled stainless steel, followeded by 3-4 years ageing in French Oak botti.
- Pair this with mushrooms, duck, pork, and game.