Daily Wine 8/24/17:
Dunn Vineyards – Cabernet Sauvignon – Howell Mountain – 1997
- This wine is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon from the Howell Mountain AVA of Napa Valley in California. These bottlings have a wax seal and the Napa Valley AVA Cabernet Sauvignon is enclosed with a foil capsule.
- Dunn, founded by Randy and Lori Dunn in 1979, produced its first official vintage in 1981.
- Randy Dunn is outspoken on the rise of alcohol levels in the valley and uses reverse osmosis to keep his wines under 14%.
- Dunn’s vineyards reach 2,100 ft. in elevation.
- The children, Michael and Kristina Dunn are steadily assuming control of the property.
- Prior to starting this project, Randy was the winemaker for Caymus.
- Grapes are fermented whole-cluster and the wine spends around 30 months in barrel prior to release.
- Pair this with beef.