Daily Wine 8/22/17:
Domaine Monthelie-Douhairet-Porcheret – Volnay – 2012
- This is 100% Pinot Noir from the village appellation of Volnay within the Côte de Beaune in Burgundy, France.
- The domaine is named after the village where the winery is actually located, Monthelie, and the Douhairet family. The third name, of renowned winemaker André Porcheret, was added in 1989 after Madame Douhairet asked him to take charge.
- André was the cellar master at Hospices de Beaune from 1976 – 1988, was hired by Lalou Bize Leroy as winemaker from 1988 – 1993, and returned to HdB in 1994 – 1999 all while overseeing the 15 acres of this estate.
- This domaine has holdings in Pommard, Meursault, Monthelie, and Volnay.
- Volnay sits on oolitic limestone and has no Grand Cru climats. 30 are classified as Premier Cru.
- Pair this with duck and chicken.