Daily Wine 8/21/17:
Noon Winery – Eclipse – McLaren Vale – 2011
- This wine is a blend of 81% Grenache, 13% Shiraz, and 6% Graciano. This is the first vintage produced entirely from estate grown grapes.
- Prior to this vintage, the wine was made with estate Grenache and Langhorne Creek Shiraz.
- In years like 2009 when South Australia had little rain and extreme heat, no Eclipse was produced.
- The Eclipse is matured in small 300L French and American oak barrels and large oak casks for 18 months. New oak is primarily used to mature the Shiraz portion of the wine.
- Grapes are harvested by hand and take places in small open vats to help extract color and tannins.
- The Grenache vines in McLaren Vale were planted in 1934 and the Shiraz and Graciano vines were planted between 1998 and 2001.
- Pair this with lamb and hearty Mediterranean cuisine.