Daily Wine 8/18/17:
Planeta – Syrah – Sicilia – 2003
- This wine is 100% Syrah from the Maroccoli vineyard of western Sicily.
- Planeta owns multiple wineries around the region. The five are located around the island of Sicily in the communes of Menfi (where this wine is sourced from), Vittoria, Noto, Etna, and Capo Milazzo.
- Syrah is a noble Mediterrean grape does best in western, warmer side.
- The first vintage of this wine was in 1999.
- The Maroccoli vineyard thrives on rich soils with pebbles that are moderately chalky with limey sections throughout. After harvesting the grapes and a 21-day maceration, malolactic fermentation occurs in stainless steel and wood.
- Aging occurs in barriques from Allier for 14 months. 30% new.
- This vineyard was one of the earliest planted by the family in 1985 around Ulmo. The family has been involved in Sicilian agriculture for five centuries through seventeen generations.
- If you are having a style of wine from Sicily, it is almost a guarantee that Planeta makes that too.
- Pair this grilled lamb.