Daily Wine 8/16/17:
Aquitania – Cabernet Sauvignon – Reserva – Maipo Valley – 2014
- This wine is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon from the Maipo Valley in Chile.
- The18-hectare vineyard was planted in 1991 and lies at the foot of the Andes Mountains.
- All of the vines are free standing without grafting due to the absence of phylloxera.
- Climatic conditions provide a good amount of sunshine and rain is not an issue during the months of harvest.
- This winery began in 1984 when Bruno Prats and Paul Pontallier, both winemakers from Bordeaux, decided to make the move. Their 18 hectares were acquired in 1990 and the wine cellar was completed in 1993.
- Two other partners have joined after their opening in 1984: Felipe de Solminihac (1990) and Ghislain de Montgolfier (2002).
- Maipo Valley DO (Valle del Maipo DO) is part of the Valle Central DO and its major city is Chile’s capital, Santiago.
- 86% of the production in this region is dedicated to red grapes.
- Pair this with beef and venison.