Daily Wine 8/15/17:
K Vintners – Ovide – En Cerise Vineyard – Walla Walla Valley – 2006
- This is a blend of 62% Cabernet Sauvignon and 38% Syrah from the Walla Walla Valley AVA of Washington State.
- Walla Walla Valley AVA overlaps the boundaries of both Washington and Oregon, but this vineyard lies on the Washington side.
- En Cerise Vineyard is now owned by Cayuse, but K Vintners sourced from and produced wines in the past.
- 10 acres were planted in 1998 on an old cherry orchard. Literally translated, En Cerise means “cherry.”
- K Vintners is owned by Charles Smith, a prolific and acclaimed winemaker known for black and white labels.
- Only 225 cases were produced.
- Charles Smith Wines sold five of their brands to Constellation Brands in late 2016. This five brands include: Kung Fu Girl Riesling, Eve Chardonnay, Boom Boom Syrah, Velvet Devil Merlot, and Chateau Smith Cabernet Sauvignon. All of these were sold for $120 million and produce up to nearly 500,000 cases per year.
- K Vintners was Charles Smith’s first winery and opened in December 2001.
- Pair this with beef, lamb, and barbeque.