Daily Wine 8/11/17:
Movia – Gredič – Friulano – Brda – 2003
- As part of Movia’s Vandima Turno series, this is 100% Friulano from the Brda region of western Slovenia.
- These grapes are hand-picked late and fermented within two hours of picking. Fermentation is completed is massive 3,000 L Slovenian oak barrels on the lees and then aged in this barrel plus a year in barrique. After barrel aging, the bottles are aged on their sides for 4 months prior to release.
- The Movia estate dates back to 1700. The Kristančič family took over in 1820 and owns over 22 hectares of land.
- Half of their land lies on the Italian side of the Collio in Fruili-Venezia-Giulia.
- Movia is among the most important and most frequently awarded in Southeastern Europe. They also make their own line of glassware.
- Pair with cooked shellfish and tomatoes.