Daily Wine 8/11/17:
Monte Bernardi – Retromarcia – Chianti Classico – 2015
- Retromarcia is a Chianti Classico made from 100% Sangiovese and had its first vintage in 2006. Before 2010, the wine was a blend and not 100% Sangiovese.
- Retromarcia is the Italian word for “to reverse” and is named to represent the intensity and typicity of the wine paired with the traditions and historical importance of Chianti Classico.
- All of the fruit is estate grown and the vineyards face south. The vineyard is located in Panzano.
- Fermentation and a 23 day maceration happens in a combination of concrete and stainless steel vats.
- Aging happens for 18 months in large casks and used Barriques and Tonneaux.
- Grapes are farmed biodynamically.
- The Monte Benardi estate dates back to 1085. The majority of the vineyards are over 40 years old and they produced their first wine under the current regime in 1992. Previously the grapes were sold to neighboring farms.
- The Schmelzer family purchased the estate in 2003 and still owns it today.
- Monte Bernardi extends over 53 hectares has about 15 hectares of vineyards in the Panzano Grand Cru of Chianti Classico.
- Soils have a high amount of Galestro, Arenaria, and Alberese soils.
- Vineyards are situated at 350m in elevation and are surrounded by forests.
- Pair this with pork, lamb, or wild boar.