Notes of quince, chamomile, and biscuit. Lightly toasted nuttiness and hints of Earl Grey tea.
Daily Wine 8/10/17:
Domaine des Baumard – Trie Spéciale – Savennières – 2010
- This wine is 100% Chenin Blanc from the Savennières AOP of the Loire Valley in France.
- The soils are shale, sand and sandstone.
- Vines are about 35 years old and harvesting is all done by hand in succesive tries.
- Grapes are whole cluster pressed and fermented at low temperatures. It is aged for nine months on fine lees.
- The Baumard’s have been making wine in France since 1634 and the plots these ancestors cultivated are still on the property today.
- This wine can be austere and rigid in its youth.
- The vineyards of Savennières develop great complexity and honeyed richness with age. The slopes are steep and face south.
- Pair with fish, cheese, and bound salads.