A very perfumed expression of flowers, raisins, Asian five spice, and figs. Light on its feet, but decadent.
Daily Wine 8/4/17:
Philip Togni – Ca’ Togni – Napa Valley – 2000 – 375ml
- This is a sweet red wine from Napa Valley that is inspired by a sweet wine from 19th century South Africa called Constantia.
- The wine is made from 100% Black Hamburgh.
- Annual production rarely exceeds 500 half bottles.
- Philip Togni graduated from the University of Bordeaux and his diploma is marked as “No. 2”.
- The first wines were Cabernet Sauvignon and Sauvignon Blanc planted in 1981 at 2000 feet in elevation on top of Spring Mountain.
- At this elevation they have 25 acres planted to Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, and Petit Verdot. Their focus is now on very ageworthy Margaux-type blends.
- Pair this with a cheese plate complimented by a fig jam or sweets dominated by deeper fruit flavors of plum and raisins.