Daily Wine 8/2/17:
Casa Silva – Lago Ranco – Sauvignon Blanc – Austral – 2016
- This is 100% Sauvignon Blanc from the Futrono Vineyard within Austral of Chile.
- All the grapes are harvested by hand and then pressed whole with the stems.
- Alcoholic fermentation is done in stainless steel vats and the wine sits on the lees before bottling.
- The Futrono vineyard is near the Andes and was planted in 2006. The soil is volcanic with sedimentary rocks and a mixture of sands and volcanic ash on top. These soils are very deep and truly make the vines struggle.
- Austral, or Chilean Patagonia, is 904km south of Santiago and maintains a relatively cool climate.
- Casa Silva was founded in 1997 by Mario Pable Silva, the eldest son of the fifth generation, shared with his father, Mario Silva.
- Pair this with seafood and salads.