Daily Wine 7/31/17:
Edgebaston – Cabernet Sauvignon – Stellenbosch – 2014
- This wine is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon from Stellenbosch of the Coastal Region of South Africa.
- The soils are Malmesbury shale on deep red clay.
- All grapes are hand-picked and fermented in tanks of stainless steel.
- To extract more color and finer tannins, punch downs are employed every four hours.
- This wine ages for 18 months in 2nd-fill French oak barrels.
- Edgebaston is now owned by the Finlayson family and has been for sixty years, but was owned by the Micklem family in the early 1930’s.
- Edgebaston is derived from the town of Edgebaston in the UK where David Finlayson’s grandfather was born and raised.
- Pair this with pork, beef, and lamb.