Daily Wine 7/30/17:
Domaine Lassagne – Vielles Vignes – Juliénas – 2014
- This is 100% Gamay from Juliénas, one of the ten crus in Beaujolais, France.
- Beaujolais is at the southern end of Burgundy, closer to Condrieu than Chablis.
- André Lassagne is the current owner and winemaker, but the estate has been part of the family for over fifty years.
- Between the neighboring cru of Saint-Amour and Juliénas, they farm 15 hectares at higher elevations on soils of schist and granite.
- Vines range from 50-70 years old and the wine is fermented in concrete tanks. It is then aged in a mixture of concrete and used French Oak for nine months.
- Pair this with anything richer from duck to light beef.