Daily Wine 7/25/17:
Rockford – Basket Press – Shiraz – Barossa Valley – 2002
- This wine is 100% Shiraz (Syrah) from vines ranging from 60- to 140-years-old in the Barossa Valley of South Australia.
- Robert O’Callaghan is the founder and winemaker.
- Robert got his start as a trainee winemaker at Seppelt’s Rutherglen winery in 1965.
- In 1971, his purchased five acres and an old cottage from the 1850’s to start Rockford in the village of Krondorf in the heart of the Barossa Valley.
- Robert practices traditional Australian winemaking techniques. He prefers to make the wine by hand with a basket press and to produce elegant but rich, earthy, and ageworthy wines like he drank in his youth.
- The Barossa Valley has over five hundred small, independent grape growers and many are in their fifth generation. Many of the vines are still on their own roots due to the terroir of South Australia and its resistence to phylloxera.
- Pair this with lamb, beef, and goat.