Daily Wine 7/21/17:
Pieve Santa Restituta (Gaja) – Rennina – Brunello di Montalcino – 1999
- The Pieve Santa Restituta estate was acquired by the Gaja family in 1994.
- This wine, like all wines from the Brunello di Montalcino DOCG of Tuscany, is 100% Sangiovese Grosso.
- Three vineyards are utilized in the production of this wine: Santo Pietro, Castagno, and Pian dei Cerri. These sites have lime-rich subsoils, southwest exposure, and ventilation from the Tyrrhenian sea to the west.
- Fermentation takes place in stainless-steel vats for four weeks.
- Aging takes place in barriques for twelve months and twelve more months in botti (large thirty-year-old casks).
- Rennina derives from the High Middle Ages and is derived from the old Roman name of this estate, Fundus Rescianum, denoting a state-owned farm.
- Pair this with game and pork.