Daily Wine 7/18/17:
Schlosskellerei Gobelsburg – Gobelsburger – Grüner Veltliner – Kamptal – 2015
- This is 100% sustainable Gruner Veltliner from the Kamptal region of Austria.
- The grapes are from the best sites around the Heiligenstein (Lamm, Grub, and Renner). These vineyards are younger (under 20 years old) and of a religious foundation that dates back to 1171.
- In 1171, the Monks of the Zwettl Monastery are granted their first vineyards at the Heiligenstein and Gaisberg.
- In 1786, a fire are the Kammern winery caused the establishment to transfer production to Gobelsburg.
- In 1996, Michael and Eva Moosbrugger took over management of the property with Willi and Edwige Bründlmayer.
- 50% of their plantings are to Grüner Veltliner.
- This vintage has more weight and richness, although still lively.
- Pair with almost everything.