Daily Wine 7/14/17:
Carlisle – Fava Ranch – Zinfandel – Russian River Valley – 2003
- This is 100% Zinfandel planted between 1907 and 1922 by the Fava brothers.
- The soils are Goldridge series which are very fine, very light, and very shallow with very little water retention ability.
- With a northeastern exposure, a powerful yet elegant Zinfandel is produced because of the vines escaping the hot afternoon sun.
- 2004 was the final vintage produced of this wine.
- Carlisle is owned and operated by Mike and Kendall Officer and launched in 1998. Their goal was to create small lots of distinctive, world-class wines. All of their vineyards that they initially bought were planted between 1885 and 1934.
- Just 375 cases were produced of this wine.
- Pair this with black pepper crusted pork.