Daily Wine 7/13/17:
Weingut Bründlmayer – Alte Reben – Grüner Veltliner – Langenlois – Kamptal – 2002
- “Alte Reben” means “old vines” and this wine comes from vines averaging 50 years.
- This wine is 100% Grüner Veltliner from the town of Langenlois within the Kamptal DAC of Austria.
- Kamptal DAC is in the Niederösterreich wine region of northeastern Austria, part of Lower Austria.
- Kamptal soils are variable, but this estate primarily comes from mica slate, calcareous loam, gneiss desert sandstone with some volcanic.
- This wine is in the style of Kamptal DAC Reserve. By law, normal Kamptal DAC Grüner Veltliner is not allowed to show notes of new wood or botrytis. The Reserve wines, however, can. Here the wine is fermented in used 300L Austrian oak casks. After fermentation it was racked into used 2500L barrels to mature for 3 to 18 months depending on the vintage.
- Pair with green salads and fish.