Daily Wine 7/12/17:
Artadi – Pagos Viejos – Rioja – 2000
- This wine is 100% Tempranillo sourced from three different sites using only vines of an average age of 75 years old. Allier French oak is used for aging.
- Artadi was founded in 1985 and quickly became of cult wine status due to their elegance, complexity, ageability, and single vineyard expressions.
- In 1996 and 1999, they also began Artazu (Navarra) and Pinoso (Alicante), respectively.
- Located in the heart of Álava they own 83 hectares planted on a wide diversity of soils. Clay and limestone are dominant, but overall the wines produce transparency of fruit and elegant tannins.
- Pair this with duck and pork.