Daily Wine 7/11/17:
Altesino – Montosoli – Brunello di Montalcino – 1999
- This is 100% Sangiovese (locally known as Brunello) made from the Montosoli vineyard of Montalcino.
- Altesino was the first to offer “futures” in Brunello, allowing them to have cashflow prior to the release of their wines.
- Giulio Consonno purchased the Altesino property from the noble Tricerchi family in 1970 and restructured the winery.
- Altesino was the first producer in Brunello di Montalcino DOCG to offer a single cru wine in 1975 and it came from Montosoli, their flagship bottling.
- Elisabetta Gnudi Angelini (owner of Carpazo) bought the estate in 2002.
- Montosoli is five hectares and sits on marl and siliceous limestone at 350 to 400 meters in elevation. The wine is only made in exceptional vintages.
- When made the wine is aged for four years in Slavonian oak and Allier barrique, and then followed by a minimum of four months of bottle age.
- Vintages Produced: 75, 85, 86, 88, 90, 93, 95, 97, 98, 99, 01, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10…
- Pair this with red meat, roasts, and game.