Daily Wine 7/5/17:
Domaine de L’Éléphant – Blanc – IGP Côtes Catalanes – France – 2007
- A rare white blend from Grenache Blanc, Macabeo, and Muscat made in the south of France near the region of Roussillon along the Mediterranean coast north of the border of Spain.
- The IGP designation is for wines made outside the existing appellation vinification requirements or permitted styles.
- Most vineyards of the area lie on east-facing slopes that are open to marine influences. These hills are hot and dry with poor soils.
- Low rainfall helps concentrate the flavors in the grapes. Cool nights help preserve the acidity in the grapes which helps with the wines’ ability to age in the long run.
- 15 acres of vines are all farmed biodynamically.
- Pair this with chicken and turkey.