Daily Wine 7/4/17:
Brewer-Clifton – Clos Pepe – Chardonnay – Sta. Rita Hills – 2003
- This is 100% Chardonnay made by Steve Clifton and Greg Brewer from the Sta. Rita Hills AVA of the Central Coast of California.
- Sta. Rita Hills has one of the longest and coldest growing seasons in California and has a great climate for Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. It is located in Santa Barbara County.
- Malolactic fermentation occurs and about a third of the oak used for aging is new French oak.
- Clos Pepe is a vineyard owned by Steve Pepe has long been one of the best vineyard sites in the region. Only four acres are planted to Chardonnay and the Brewer-Clifton team purchased some it to make this limited production wine.
- “Clos” may signify a walled vineyard or denote a winery in the same way “domaine” or “chateaux” do.
- Farming is biodynamic and the vineyard’s health is meticulously maintained.
- In 2017, Steve Clifton and the Brewer-Clifton team sold to the Jackson Family Wines brand. Wines like this may never be seen again. If you see one, grab it.
- Pair this with salmon and beurre blanc.