Daily Wine 7/2/17:
La Sirena – Cabernet Sauvignon – Napa Valley – 2004
- This is a blend of typically about 90% Cabernet Sauvignon and the remainder of Merlot, Cabernet Franc, and Petit Verdot.
- Aging takes place in 100% French Oak barrels (30% new) for about 18 months.
- The fruit comes from Calistoga and St. Helena in Napa Valley of California.
- La Sirena was created in 1994 by Heidi Barrett, one of the leading winemakers in the history of Napa Valley and the world. Since 1996, this Cabernet consistently maintains excellence.
- Heidi gained such acclaim by making the wine for Screaming Eagle when it became the first wine of Napa Valley to cost over $1,000 upon release.
- Five 100-point scores within a span of a few years launched her into international fame.
- A 6-liter bottle of her 1992 Screaming Eagle sold for $500,000 at the Napa Valley Wine Auction in 2000.
- She also created the acclaim for Dalla Valle, Grace Family, Paradigm, and many others.
- Her husband, Bo Barrett of Chateau Montelena, started Barrett & Barrett in 2010.
- Today, Heidi maintains Paradigm, Lamborn, Amuse Bouche, Au Sommet, Fantesca, Kenzo, La Sirena, and Barrett & Barrett.
- Pair this with beef, lamb, and wagyu.