Daily Wine 6/28/17:
Colgin Cellars – IX Estate – Red Wine – Napa Valley – 2010
- An extremely ageworthy and super-complex Bordeaux Blend comprised of 63% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot, 11% Cabernet Franc, and 6% Petit Verdot.
- The number IX refers to the parcel number and the date that Ann and Joe Colgin were married, September 9th.
- Vines in the vineyard are starting to get old enough to produce consistent wines each year. 2010 was an excellent vintage for both richness and balance.
- The IX Estate Vineyard is located above Lake Hennessey on the Pritchard Hill area of St. Helena. It is 20-acres and ranges from 1150-1350 feet in elevation. The soils are rocky volcanic and has an incredible amount of sun exposure throughout the day.
- Ann Colgin founded Colgin Cellars in 1992 and has created a world-renowned reputation for California’s small production hand-crafted producers.
- Vintners: Ann Colgin and Joe Wender
- Winemaker: Allison Tauziet
- Vineyard Manager: David Abreu
- Pair this with steak.