Daily Wine 6/26/17:
Petrussa – Schioppettino di Prepotto – Fruili Colli Orientali – 2013
- This wine is 100% Schioppettino, a grape indigenous to the Fruili region in the northeastern corner of Italy. The grape originated in the Prepotto/Cialla area and has records of consumption from 1282.
- Fruili-Venezia-Giulia borders both Austria and Slovenia and has an incredible cultural diversity with influences from all angles.
- Petrussa ferments this in steel and ages the wine in old barriques for about 18 months. This is the greatest example of Schioppettino in the world.
- Gianni and Paolo Petrussa currently run the show.
- Prepotto is situated on the east side of Fruili and borders Slovenia on one side and Collio Goriziano on the other. The area produces about 20% of the wine in Colli Orientali in Fruili. The vineyards are on a dramatic terroir with great influence from the Adriatic Sea. Schioppettino thrives and performs its best in this cooler climate, especially in cooler vintages.
- Pair this with steak tartare, trout, chicken, and duck.