Daily Wine 6/19/17:
Bergström – Cumberland Reserve – Pinot Noir – Willamette Valley – 2013 – 375ml
- The Cumberland Reserve bottling is an assemblage of Bergström’s five estate vineyards (Silice, Le Pré du Col, Bergström Vineyard, Winery Block, and Gregory Ranch Vineyard).
- Led by Josh Bergström, this is the wine that showcases the Bergström style as if it were the winery’s business card.
- The Bergström Vineyard (13 acres) was the first to be planted in 1999 and is on a south-facing slope that overlooks the Willamette Valley. The family now owns 84 acres across all five vineyards.
- Each vineyard is farmed without the use of harsh chemicals, systemic or fertilizers.
- Bergström’s philosophy is to best express the Willamette Valley and its true terroir with attention to detail and respect.
- The Willamette Valley is still a relatively young wine region, but is producing great wines and has an unlimited potential with Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Pinot Gris, Riesling, and other grapes.
- As vines continue to age, expect this region to become even more exciting.
- This is a half-bottle, which ages quicker than a standard 750ml bottle because of the ratio of oxygen to wine that seeps through the cork over time.
- Pair this with duck, chicken, salmon, and mushrooms.