Daily Wine 6/18/17:
Domaine Huet – Le Haut-Lieu – Sec – Vouvray – 2011
- This wine is made from 100% Chenin Blanc and is from the Vouvray AOP in the Loire Valley of France.
- Vouvray has an influence from both oceanic and continental climates and the Chenin Blanc thrives on the tuffeau limestone, a soft and chalky soil, that is distinct to this part of the world. Le Haut-Lieu also has marble clays.
- Vouvray is the largest white wine region of the Touraine.
- This wine is dry (sec), but off-dry, demi-sec, moelleux, and liquereux styles are also allowed in Vouvray.
- Domaine Huet is biodynamically farmed and each wine maximizes the expression of the vineyard it came from.
- Chenin Blanc has a great level of acidity and these wines can age incredibly well.
- Le Haut-Lieu is typically harvested first.
- Pair this dry example with salads, fish, and green vegetables.