Daily Wine 6/16/17:
Teusner Wines – The Riebke – Ebenezer Road – Shiraz – Barossa Valley – 2004
- This wine is 100% Shiraz sourced from the sixth-generation Riebke growers from the Barossa Valley is South Australia, Australia.
- Kym Teusner and Mick Page started Teusner Wines in 2001 after a discussion in a pub about some growers contemplating the removal of extremely old Grenache and Shiraz vines.
- Access to these old vines allowed them to have dense and concentrated wines in the inaugural vintages.
- The Barossa Valley is one of the most important wine-producing regions in Australia, especially in the Barossa zone of South Australia.
- Barossa has some of the oldest vines in the world, reaching over 125 years old in some vineyards.
- Phylloxera has never affected South Australia and became the top growing region of Australia when both New South Wales and Victoria were destroyed by the louse.
- The Barossa Valley Shiraz’s style has a reputation for being rich, full-bodied, and dense with soft tannins.
- Pair this with beef, lamb, and venison.