Daily Wine 6/15/17:
Charles Joguet – Les Varennes du Grand Clos – Chinon – 2004
- This is a red wine made from 100% Cabernet Franc, a grape that originated in Bordeaux.
- Cabernet Franc and Sauvignon Blanc are parent grapes of Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Les Varennes du Grand Clos is situated at the foot of a gravelly terrace. The silico-clay and silico-calcareous terroir lies on the left bank of the Vienne, in Sazilly.
- The vineyards is 4.5 ha (10.8 acres) or vines planted between 1962 and 1976, with an average yield 40 hl/ha.
- This wine is aged for 24 months in oak barrels.
- Chinon is a wine appellation in the Touraine of the Loire Valley in France.
- Current Owner: Jacques Genet
- Winemaker: Kevin Fontaine
- Pair this with Beef Wellington, veal, or forest mushrooms.