Daily Wine 6/13/17:
Niepoort – Charme – Tinto – Douro – 2007
- Charme is a rare wine from the Douro because of its elegance and mature tannins in such a warm growing region.
- This wine is sourced from the Vale Mendiz in the Pinhão Valley.
- The wine is dominated by the grapes Tinta Roriz and Touriga Franca, but includes others.
- Malolactic fermentation (the conversion of malic acids to lactic acids) occurs inside barrels.
- Charme is aged for 16 months in French Oak.
- The Niepoort family has owned this business independently since 1842 and makes incredible port wines, red wines, white wines, and is always experimenting with new wines, vineyards, and countries.
- Eduard Dirk Niepoort and Verena Niepoort are part of the fifth generation and has become one of the elite Port Wine producers in the Portugal.
- Pair this with game and mushroom dishes.