Daily Wine 6/10/17:
Williams-Selyem – Feeney Vineyard – Zinfandel – Russian River Valley – 2003
- Ed Selyem and Burt Williams started this winery in 1979 as a hobby out of their garage and had their first commercial vintage in 1981.
- It took about two additional decades for them to reach cult-status and to elevate the Russian River Valley to one of the best winegrowing regions in the world. They essentially helped create the classic style of “Russian River Valley Pinot Noir”.
- This wine is 100% Zinfandel from 90+ year old vines. This wine was discontinued and had its last vintage in 2008.
- There is 15% one-year French oak and 85% 3+year French oak on this wine and it is aged for 12 months.
- Ed and Burt sold the winery in 1998 to John Dyson. Jeff Mangahas now makes the wine.
- Currently, they have three estate vineyards and source from sixteen diverse and sustainably farmed vineyards from around California.
- Pair with pork, squab, and lamb.