Daily Wine 6/9/17:
Marchesi Antinori – Tenuta Guado al Tasso – Rosso Superiore – Bolgheri DOC – 2000
- This is a blend of 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot, 10% Syrah and other red grape varieties.
- The wine is aged in barrels for about 14 months, followed by one year in bottles before release.
- The Guado al Tasso estate is owned by the 26th-generation of Marchesi Antinori.
- Bolgheri is on the Tuscan coast, about 60 miles to the southwest of Florence. The 300 hectares (750 acres) are planted in the “Bolgheri Amphitheater”. The climate is Mediterranean, but produces wine with power, elegance, and balance.
- Antinori is the same producer that makes Tignanello.
- Bolgheri DOC was established in 1983 and was one of the first DOCs to produce wines from grapes NOT indigenous to Italy.
- Pair this with beef, venison, and other rich meats.