Daily Wine 6/3/17:
Rust en Vrede – Estate Red Blend – Stellenbosch – 1999
- Made from 71% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Shiraz, and 9% Merlot.
- Both the Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot are aged in French oak before blending and the Shiraz is aged in American oak.
- The Rust en Vrede estate was founded in 1694. Since 1977 the Engelbrecht family has specialized in the exclusive production of red wine, creating one of South Africa’s premium red wine estates, with full-bodied and complex wines.
- South Africa’s Western Cape is where the bulk of wine production occurs in the country. Stellenbosch has a Mediterranean climate with low-lying slopes and great sun exposure. Stellenbosch is a district of the Coastal Region.
- Winemaker: Coenie Snyman.