Daily Wine 5/27/17:
Cayuse Vineyards – Bionic Frog – Walla Walla Valley – 2006
- Made by Christophe Baron. He was born in Champagne, France and studied viticulture there and in Burgundy.
- After falling in love with Pinot Noir and an unexpected internship in Oregon, he started looking for land of his own.
- Christophe planted his first vineyard in 1997 on a site that resembled the terroir of Châteauneuf-du-Pape. He owns about forty-five planted acres and five vineyards today.
- The Bionic Frog is solely Syrah from the Coccinelle Vineyard, a 4.5 acre vineyard planted in 1998. Coccinelle is the French word for “ladybug”.
- This wine has incredible aging potential, but is still enjoyable today. If you ever see a bottle, get it.
- The Walla Walla Valley overlaps the borders of both Washington State and Oregon.
- Pair this wine with smoked, roasted, grilled, and seared rich meats and mushrooms.